Monday, 15 January 2018

Canadian Values

Living in Canada I feel quite privileged and thankful because in other countries I wouldn't have all the rights and freedoms that I have here. This is all thanks to the Canadian charter of rights and freedoms which was signed into law by Queen Elizabeth II in April of 1982.
Everyone has their own opinion on which right is the most important to them, personally the right I feel is the most important to me is the right of freedom of speech. I feel that this might be one of the most important right because it gives everyone a voice and allows people to learn from each others ideas. In other countries around the world there is censorship of the people and media by the government some countries are North Korea, Ethiopia, Iran and many other countries. I also feel that this right demonstrates rather well what it means to be Canadian.
To be Canadian means to be tolerant, respectful, to search for equality and justice and to be open minded. this leads to a better and more progressive society. Kindness is also a very important value in Canada, I think it's a big reason why Canada is the 8th safest country in the world. Being from a country that is very dangerous it's really nice being in a country where I feel perfectly safe going for a walk in the middle of the night. In the end canadian values are what connects us and is defines to us and the rest of the world what it means to Canadian.











Works Cited
“Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms.” Wikipedia, en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Charter_of_Rights_and_Freedoms. Accessed 15 Jan. 2018.
Khoo, Isabelle. “Canada Ranked 8th Safest Country in the World by 2017 Global Peace Index.” Huffpost, 6 June 2017, www.huffingtonpost.ca/2017/06/06/safest-countries-in-the-world_n_16969776.html. Accessed 16 Jan. 2018.
Lawson, Guy. “Canadian Values.” wikipedia, 8 Dec. 2015, en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_values#cite_note-2. Accessed 16 Jan. 2018.
“10 Most Censored Countries.” CPJ (Committee to Protect Journalists), cpj.org/2015/04/10-most-censored-countries.php#7. Accessed 16 Jan. 2018.

University of Victoria. Canadian Studies. Continuing Studies at University of Victoria, continuingstudies.uvic.ca/humanities-and-social-sciences/programs/diploma-program-in-canadian-studies. Accessed 16 Jan. 2018.

No comments:

Post a Comment