Monday, 15 January 2018

Canadian Values

As a Canadian, we don’t think about our responsibilities or we take for granted the things that we have. However, talking to my international friends, I’ve learned that we, as Canadians, should be grateful for what we have as they would gladly take my spot.

A photo of North Vancouver
It turns out I wasn’t the only reason why my friend Chris want to move to Canada from Africa. Chris is a music producer, producing under the alias of Light Shard. Chris told me that “[he] would love living there because it is a well developed and technologically supportive country. [He’s] been seeing more innovations music and video wise from Canada as well.” Chris also said that the scenery (especially in Vancouver) is much nicer than Africa, as would jump at the chance to move here.

Tyler is another music producer. He produces under the alias of Catastrophe and is based in Los Angeles. “Canada, Norway and Germany are my favorite places for safe environments. I would want to go there because the population is very spread out on its land mass.” He told me on SnapChat. “I might be moving there soon for refuge.” He asked me not to reveal why.

When asked simple questions, Ryan Beckett gave me an answer I thought I would never hear from him. Ryan is a Track and Field runner in Cerritos College and is going to school for teaching. “You guys don’t have Trump as a president” he answered simply, “but I can’t say that Canada is the best country in the world to live in but it’s definitely better than a lot. There doesn’t seem to be as much drama going on over there with your government.”

James Sullivan, yet another boy from Africa, gave me some information I thought I wouldn’t hear. “Trump isn’t your president or prime minister or whatever it is over there, Africa has a corrupt president, it’s safer to walk the streets in Toronto then it is in Cape Town, they have [rainbow] money and transgender rights are more accepting than they are here.” Sullivan then continued to tell me that he was very unfortunate being who he was in the country that he was in.

I guess I see Canada as a sort of blessing. It’s a fortunate country in equality rights and as my friends said, we could have it worse government wise. If I lived anywhere in the world, I would want to come to Canada because of the rights and freedoms we have. Gathering information from my friends only made me want them here more.

No comments:

Post a Comment