Sunday, 14 January 2018

Canadian Values

As Canadians, some of our values as a country are: equality, when one respects everyone’s rights, beliefs, and cultural differences and everyone has the right to speak out and express their own ideas even when others may disagree; we also value freedom of thought, speech, religion and freedom of peaceful assembly; we value peace and we are proud of our non-violent society; law and order is also valued as we respect democratic decision making.

When most people from different countries think of Canada they usually think: living in igloos, “eh”, how polite we are, maple syrup, and hockey. When Canadians think of being Canadian, we tend to think of our Charter Rights and Freedoms, welcoming Immigrants and refugees, Tim Hortons; we also love watching are playing hockey outside or inside, and recently the Raptors and “We The North” have given us another reason to be proud of being Canadian.Team Canada wins 2018 World Juniors gold

In my opinion Canada is the best country in the world is filled with a lot of proud citizens.  I believe that Canadians are proud of the Charter Rights and Freedoms. The Charter of Rights and Freedoms are very important to a lot of people that live in Canada. There are lots of Immigrants and refugees that come to Canada and for them to have freedom is very important as it is something they may not have had in their previous country.  In Canada, we accept everyone.  We believe that everyone is important and valued.  People who come to Canada with different religious or cultural values are also accepted and included.  Although we want people to become Canadian, they are encouraged to keep their cultural values. We are privledged to live in a country that relies on the Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

I consider myself Canadian not just because I am a citizen but because my whole family is Canadian as well, my ancestors came from Wales to Canada over four generations ago. I am truly a Canadian in the way that I treat others.  I believe everyone should be accepted for who they are and should be respected because of that.  I also really enjoy learning about different cultures and I love hearing stories of how people ended up living in Canada.  My family are also huge hockey fans (they play and watch hockey) and of course, Tim Hortons is the hot beverage of choice. We often give thanks and appreciation for being able to live in such a beautiful and respectful country.  Our Charter of Rights and Freedoms are one of many reasons why we are proud to be Canadian.  Can Canada improve?  Absolutley.  We have a long way to go in our treatment of our indigenous people.  I think that we have the foundation set and I am hopeful that there will be progress made soon so every person in Canada will also consider themselves proud to live here.

Wharnsby, Tim. "Canada coach Ducharme learned his own golden rule." CBC, 6 Jan.
   2018, www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/
   canada-sweden-world-juniors-championship-wharnsby-1.4475730. Accessed 8
   Jan. 2018.

Durham Immigration Portal. "What are Canadian values?" Durham Immigration
   Portal, 2010, www.durhamimmigration.ca/creating%20community/Pages/

   WhatareCanadianValues.aspx. Accessed 2018.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Is, I think it is funny how other countries think we drink maple syrup, but it reminds me of elf and would probably taste great on everything! Also if it weren't for the cold, camping out in an igloo would be fun and could be made to whatever size free off charge. So on the contrary to what other countries think, living in igloos and drinking maple syrup is a cheap affordable way to live since expenses are rising all over the world.

    ReplyDelete