The Canadian values can not be identified as one thing because we do not have one identity: Canada is a salad; not a melting pot. It is hard to categorize our identity because of its diversity: there is no one culture, religion, language, or values.
I do not believe there is a country that is Perfect because there is always something lacking. Setting that aside, I think based on quality of life Canada is the best. Canada is a safe country. It has free healthcare and this allows people to get their basic necessity of health for free. We have access to an education system for all people. Canada has a genuine belief in equal rights for all people and this slowly being accomplished. There are some problems: the wage gap, mistreatment of our indigenous people, and our high taxes.
I am Canadian because I believe in all the values Canada has: equality, acceptance, tolerance, and fairness. I believe there are improvement that need to be made for our indigenous people, and their communities. There are too many people struggling in this economy, and employment but that is harder to fix.
Overall I think Canada is an amazing country to live in, and I am proud to be Canadian.
"Canadian Values." Www.wikipedia.org, 5 Dec. 2017, en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
Canadian_values. Accessed 7 Jan. 2018.
Best Countries. www.usnews.com/news/best-countries/canada. Accessed 7 Jan. 2018.

I love the metaphor for what Canada is. It is truly a salad that has all cultures mixed not blended and melted together. I love that you do not believe that Canada is perfect as no one is. It is important to see both the good and bad side of things. We can always improve,but I believe what we have now is the best in most aspects for the average Canadian. People come from all over the world to take part in our traditions, values, free education and health care. It is truly important that we should know what we have and value it the most. I am also very proud to be Canadian and what our country has developed into.
ReplyDeleteI loved your blog Abby! It was written in a refreshing, unbiased manner that I really enjoyed! You did not sugar coat our country and call it perfect when there are obvious weak spots in our economy. Even though you pointed out the weak spots, you made sure to include all the strong points that us as Canadian's believe in and value about our country. How do you feel about the Canadian stereotypes? Because although other countries view our accepting nature, they also view us as hockey playing igloo inhabitants who have nothing better to do than to strap on their snow shoes and go for a hike. Do you think this disrupts Canada's true accepting identity to the rest of the world? I really agree with your point that we are so accepting of every culture and ethnicity, and that people immigrate here for those reasons. Canadians truly are peacekeepers, and even though we are not perfect, we are usually trying our best. Also the connection to how we treat Indigenous people was awesome, since that is our overall topic in class! I wish I had thought of that! In the end I really enjoyed reading your blog, it gave me a refreshing, new point of view!
ReplyDeleteI love your unique view of Canada! Your perspective on the Canadian values is very eye opening: I never considered the fact that Canada bears more respembalende to a salad than a melting pot. Do you think that immigrants entering Canada also share in your perspective?
ReplyDeleteI also agree that our main values revolve around multiculturalism and being an accepting country. I am very proud to be a part of a country where we do not discriminate against people with opposing beliefs, but I do agree that the wage gap between men and women is a problem that needs to be addressed and solved in Canada. Is that something that you think will be achieved over the next few years or do you think it will be a long term goal?
I completely agree with your opinion that one’s true values are what makes a person Canadian and not being Canadian that decides one’s values.