Canadian Values
By: Kylie Conroy
Like every country, Canada has values that are very important to us. Canadians value; diversity, fairness, health, education, and safety to just state a few. As a Canadian I feel that Canada's values reflect on the values I have.
I feel that to be a Canadian, you obtain values that as a whole, the country believes as well. Not just saying that you have those values but also showing that and appreciating what Canada does to support their values.
Canada's values attract people to immigrate to our country because they believe in the same values or wish to live somewhere where these things are represented. The same as any country, Canada has pull factors; things that make you want to go to a country. We have free healthcare and education, but with that comes the large amount of taxes we have to pay to have these things free. Canada also represents freedom and safety to others and acceptance so that when immigrants do decide to move here they want to stay and they enjoy it.
(Click below)
http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2017/06/29/we-asked-canadians-to-describe-canada-in-one-word-they-did-not_a_23006738/?utm_hp_ref=ca-canadian-values
(Click below)
http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2017/06/29/we-asked-canadians-to-describe-canada-in-one-word-they-did-not_a_23006738/?utm_hp_ref=ca-canadian-values
In the video above you realize that Canada is home to many different people. With people choosing their words to describe Canada, they chose multiculturalizm and diversity, therefore we have many people and different cultures from around the world that chose to come to Canada. They are happy and everyone else is happy they did. Somebody also chose hockey as their word, hockey brings the country together as a whole.
We can describe what Canada is but when asked what it means to be Canadian, that is very broad, we don't necessarily know what it means to be Canadian. From the dictionary a Canadian is "a native or inhabitant of Canada." So, yes we live in Canada but what does it mean to you? Most just express themselves in the stereotypes like friendly and polite but being like that doesn't make you Canadian, that just makes you a kind person. Although Canada is filled with kind people, to be Canadian is something deeper, that we don't discriminate, we don't judge due to differences because Canada is a diverse country that includes all. Canada has many different cultures, traditions, languages, and religions that all combine together to support the values we have of: freedom, fairness, health and education, safety, and diversity.I love to be Canadian and I embrace it, as Canada is very diverse, we still value the same things as a whole and we are a distinct type of people that I am proud to be familiarized with. Although we do have our problems like anywhere else, it's the way we are trying to change is what makes people the most proud.
Works Cited
arms holding canadian flags. Next Stop Canada, nextstopcanada.ca/success-next-stop-canada-immigrants/. Accessed 8 Jan. 2018.
Canada map made of words. Muskoka Language International, www.mliesl.com/our-values.html. Accessed 8 Jan. 2018.
"Canadian Values." Wikipedia, en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_values. Accessed 8 Jan. 2018.
Reflecting Canadian Values. Canadian Index of Wellbeing. uwaterloo, uwaterloo.ca/canadian-index-wellbeing/about-canadian-index-wellbeing/reflecting-canadian-values. Accessed 7 Jan. 2018.

I think that your decision to include a video was very creative. It backed up the rest of the information you provided. By showing a diverse group of people from across Canada describe it as your blog does is a good piece of evidence to back up your opinion. I was wondering what you thought Canada needs to work on to improve? Other than that I think your blog was written well; to the point.
ReplyDeleteI do agree that everyone has different views to the question "what dose it mean to be Canadian?". I liked how you said Canada excepts everyone because I think that is one of our major factors about being Canadian. As you mentioned, lots of Canadians express themselves with our stereotypes, do you think that is what differentiates Canada from other countries? I thought adding the video was very good idea to help support your controlling idea. Overall, I really liked your blog!
ReplyDeleteI agree with your approach and ideas on our values. Canada is a great nation, and many people think they know what it means, but do they really? We both seem to agree that all Canadian citizens know is the stereotypes that they are led to believe. I also love being Canadian, and often embrace the stereotypes surrounding it, but sometimes some are hurtful. For example, I feel like I have a bit of a backbone, I am not "too nice". I know that we both live in Canada because we were born and raised here, so our nationality is a default, but I like how you have analyzed the factors people consider when deciding to come to Canada. One of the biggest defining traits of Canada is its multiculturalism, yet most of the people who are seen as "true Canadians" do not fit into this category, so I like how you have included this.
ReplyDeleteI like the approach that you took to this blog you talked about many key points and I loved that you integrated a video that was a very nice touch. There were some point where you just through them in at the end of a paragraph like how hockey effects Canada if you feel like it belongs in your blog I personally feel like that would be a good way to expand your blog.
ReplyDeleteI thought how you displayed the Canadian people was nice. How they show their values and appreciate their country and all the things it has done for them. I especially liked how you related the fact that immigrants come to canada because their values are similar to that of the Canadian people and that Canada is a country that prides itself on creating a home for people who need one. I thought that you saying being Canadian isn’t about being a kind person was pretty cool and the I liked the way you described that being Canadian is something deeper it is about how we treat others and accepting diversity into Canada. In conclusion, I thought your blog on what Canada Values was very good and how you said Canada may have problems but they are working to get better everyday.
ReplyDelete