Canadian Values
As Canadians we recognize Canada to be a multicultural society valued by “equality, freedom, and respect for all individuals in society” (Welcome Peterborough). Canada, a large country, is separated by regions. Each region has its own traditions, but are cherished and shared throughout Canada as a whole. Because equality, freedom, and respect are valued by Canadians: this is what “make[s] Canada an attractive place to live” (Durham). Canada has developed laws that enforce the importance of our values. The Charter of Rights and Freedom guarantees (Parlement of Canada): freedom of religion, of thought, of expression, of the press, and of peaceful assembly; the right to participate in political activities and the right to a democratic government; the freedom to move around and live within Canada, and to leave Canada; legal rights such as the right to life, liberty and security; equality rights; and language rights. Over the years Canada has developed in unifying and ensuring all Canadians are respected and treated as equals. Canada’s values of equality, respect and freedom have positively affected Canada’s improvement on providing education and eventually providing financial support to all races; the change in opportunities for women and immigrant's ability to be apart of our political system; gender equality in accepting woman into the workplace; and acceptance of multiculturalism where all races and religions feel safe and accepted in Canada. Because we are such a diverse county, more people have wanted to come over. Since 1982, when the Charter of Rights and Freedom was to affect, Canada’s population gained almost 12 million more Canadians (Worldometers). I believe Canada is a safe, happy place to live, and I witness our values taken place everyday whether its at school, work, the grocery store, ect. As a Canadian woman I am thankful for the change in rights and freedom over the years because I now have the privilege to a decent education and job around people genuinely accepted. I also am thankful that my children will grow up in a diverse country where everyone is valued as equals, respected, and have freedom to achieve their dreams. I believe all countries should be lucky enough to experience what all Canadians have the pleasure of living with everyday.
Works Cited
"Canada Population." Worldometers, www.worldometers.info/world-population/canada-population/.
"Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms." Parlement of Canada, lop.parl.ca/About/Parliament/Education/ourcountryourparliament/html_booklet/canadian-charter-rights-and-freedoms-e.html.
"Canadian Values." Welcome to Peterborough, www.welcomepeterborough.ca/Settling/Canadian_Values.htm.
"What Are Canadian Values." Durham Immigration Portal, www.durhamimmigration.ca/creating%20community/Pages/WhatareCanadianValues.aspx.
I agree with you as I am grateful that my children will grow up among all different religions and cultures and will be exposed to the multiculturalism that Canada has to offer. As like any country, Canada does have its problems but is there anything that Canada is struggling with at the moment that you wouldn't want your children to grow up experiencing? Also, I liked how you included things from the Charter of rights and freedoms as it really made it clear which rights Canada has that are important to all the different people immigrating. Overall I really enjoyed it!
ReplyDeleteI am so glad that your blog has recognized the rights towards women. As I am so very thankful to be living here in Canada because I have rights and Freedoms but I also agree with you about knowing that my future children will be safe living here and that as women it is amazing to know that we can have jobs to support our future families. As Canada dose have room to improve, besides that fact do you think Canada is the best place to be living? I liked how you included the effects of the Charter Rights and Freedoms because I think Canada is a very accepting country to people go different races and genders, recognizing that fact is very important. I really liked reading this!
ReplyDeleteIt was nice that your blog talked about women and their freedom. Many places can't say they have the rights and freedom us Canadians have. I agree with you that it is nice to know that my future kids will be safe and have education at their finger tips instead of fighting for schooling like some kids around the world. Canada does not judge different religions and genders which is so important in this day and age. Your blog was really good.
ReplyDelete