Throughout my life my ancestry has played a big part in my life and continues to be a big part of it. One of the main reasons that it is so important to me is that i was born in South Africa and moved to Canada when I was 7 years old and I still have lots of memories from there. One my father's side we are German and on my mother told me that she's not really too sure what her ancestry is but she is pretty sure that it is Belgian.
My dad told me that his great grandfather and grandmother were the first ones in our family to head down to south africa because they were searching for a new life in a better climate and ended up loving it and stayed. He and his wife lived through the Boer war which started in 1899 and ended in 1902.
On my mother's side her ancestor had been there longer than on my dads side, about 100 years more, and went same reasons they were looking for a new start and better life. They also lived through the Boer war.
Living in canada now for the last ten years we have all noticed many differences between the two countries like the foods and even which side of the road they drive on. My ancestry is an important part of my life as I no longer live in the country I was born in and it helps me feel connected to my family and who I am
Works Cited
Boer Commando. Wikipedia, www.google.ca/search?q=boer+war&rlz=1CAZZAC_enCA582CA582&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiJibig4ZLYAhVs04MKHeCKCEUQ_AUICigB&biw=1366&bih=629#imgrc=IzlXa4LOZTOSrM:. Accessed 18 Dec. 2017.
Rindel, Tania, and Andre Rindel. Interview. 13 Dec. 2017.
I find it cool how your generation is the change in your ancestry for the future, with you being the generation to move to Canada.
ReplyDelete