Friday, 8 December 2017

Houston-Kubow Ancestry

My ancestry is one of the hardest things I've ever tried to find. With most of it being missing on both sides, it was difficult to track and piece together. However, the pieces that I found were interesting, to say the least. 

Image result for uncle sam
Uncle Sam Houston, as seen in
the "I Want You" posters
My father was adopted with my aunt by a Ukrainian family shortly after being born. However, to this day, my baba and dido (grandma and grandpa) are still debating their past. We recently found a polish ancestor named Karol, who stayed with us for a weekend before resuming his tour around the world, seeking out our ancestors. When he did this, my baba started to rethink her Ukrainian roots. Before, she assumed that her and her family were strictly Ukrainian, her family moving to Canada to seek out a better life. Karol changed a lot when he visited.

With my dad's side being complicated, it doesn’t help that my mothers is even more so. My family ancestry is only known back to my great great grandmother on my mum's side, who immigrated from Germany, and my great great grandfather who, as far as we know, was from Canada. From there, my great grandmother was born in Canada and had 6 boys and 8 girls. My grandmother Norma had two children, one who died almost immediately after birth, the other is my mother, Daphne. My mother had two children, myself and my half-brother Aaron. Before that, my history is lost, aside from a few fragments. My grandmother told me that one of my ancestors married a slave, and ran away with them, starting a family. It isn't known for sure, but she said that the slave might have belonged to Sam Houston. For those of you who don't know how slavery worked, when a slave was bought, they automatically changed their last name to their owner, hence my distant relations to "Uncle Sam" Houston. Another one of the fragments is that Colonel John Butler is another one of my distant relatives. You can read hore about him here.

My ancestry doesn’t really matter to me, as it is a growing world. New traditions can be made as well as new memories. However, it is nice to keep traditions that I know and pass them along to my brothers or my own children. There are some traditions, like christian holidays, that I want to pass down, but others, like some traditional Ukrainian foods, that I don’t want my descendants to see as tradition or normality. For future generations, I’m the only relative that can carry on the Kubow and Houston bloodline and traditions, as my brother is only Houston. With this weight on my shoulders, I hope to carry on traditions from both bloodlines.

Works Cited

Houston, Norma. Interview. 1 Dec. 2017.
Ann

3 comments:

  1. I can totally relate to your difficulties finding out your history. It took about an hour long phone call with my grandmother before we discovered family members who were not born in Canada. I’m glad I am not the only one who had no idea where their ancestors originated from.
    I can not believe how many children your great-grandmother had. 14 kids! That must have been a full household. I only have two siblings and we all barely tolerate each other's presence sometimes.
    I love your use of “mum” in the European spelling. Where did you pick that up from? I know it is spelled that way in England, but is it like that in Ukraine too? Also I can not believe that after 13 years of knowing you I never made the connection Uncle Sam Houston. I mean, I have met your mother, who goes by “Houston”, and I still did not realize it. Even after a decade I am still learning new things about you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find it quite unique that you discovered that you related to "Uncle Sam" Houston and Colonel John Butler. It is crazy how much you can discover by asking questions and going more in depth with your ancestry. Although I do not know what it is like to have difficulty finding out who you are and your ancestry, I can only imagine the shock that you went through in finding out the details. Would you ever regret not passing down the traditional Ukrainian foods as a normality later on though? The food is so good! and I cannot imagine going without it as I am Ukrainian too. Yet, I love that you still want to carry on the traditions from both families. I hope to continuing learning more about your ancestry though as I find it quite interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As Emily said as well, I can relate to how hard it is finding out about your ancestry, but mine is because of the lose ends of stories and all the moving about my family has done. Your Baba's story really makes me question if the Ukrainian side of my family is what my mother and I assume it to be from the brief stories we've heard. It makes me want to investigate that side of the family more as I didn't do that for my ancestry blog. I personally like to see the different thoughts from different people and how their ancestry effects them because sometimes it is very important for people and sometimes, like yourself, it does not matter a whole lot. I agree with you for I do not feel the need to carry down ALL the traditions of my ancestors (just the ones I know and love) but I would like to carry down the recipes. As Sam was saying as well I hope you would consider carrying down some of the food because like you two, I am also part Ukrainian and could not live without some of that amazing food. I can't believe your great-grandmother had 14 kids though, could you imagine? I loved reading about your findings about your own ancestry and found it very interesting!

    ReplyDelete