Monday, 4 December 2017

My Ancestors

I am 4th generation Canadian on both sides of the family; my mom’s side of the family is from  Ireland and Scotland, my grandpa’s father is unknown; my dad’s side of the family is mostly Canadian but when my ancestors came to Canada (5 generation ago), they came from Wales and Ireland. I know my genealogy because I grew up living around the corner to my Great Grandmother, my mom also has family trees for both sides of my family. Growing up my Great Grandma was still alive (she passed away three years ago) and throughout my life she would tell me stories about what life was like when she was younger. She would tell me about what is was like living through both world wars and how different the school systems were compared to today, she would also tell me about her parents.
My family told me that my ancestors on my dads side moved to Canada because of the famine, however I’m not sure why my mom’s side of the family came over but I think it is probably because of the same situation. When my dad’s ancestors moved to the country they settled in Ontario and we have been living around the same place ever since. Over the years my family has also shown me different historical areas  where they grew up and told me stories about their childhood and such. The connection I maintain to my ancestors and my family is how we all live within a 30 minute range from everyone and we visit each other a lot; most of my extended family also live in the same area so we see each other quite often. As a family we also celebrate everything together, birthdays, holidays, and sometimes we have dinners just to catch up. I am very close with my family and they are very important to me.  When I am older I will maintain this connection to make sure my children have a strong relationship with their family. This is an image of my Great Grandma and Grandpa’s farm house, it has been recently updated but they built this house themselves when they bought the land around the 1940’s. It was a working farm until the 1980’s.


My ancestors matter to me because they are the ones that shaped my family and the ones who set the example, they made my family traditions, religion, our norms and beliefs. I think the history of my family and my ancestors are cool in the sense that they are the ones who started my family from way back. In my family it is very important that we are all close and that we see each other often because we believe that everyone should spend time together and we should all have a strong relationship. When I am older I will carry on that value because I also think it is important to be close with your family. I also think it is important to carry on the religion my ancestors passed on to us, my mom’s side of the family passed down our christianity and when I am older I will want to take my children to church as well. Along with religion I also think it is important that my brother, parents and I should live nearby so we can see eachother often and so that my children know that there’s always someone nearby if they need any help or need anyone.

Erwin, Krista. Interview.

4 comments:

  1. My family is also really close too. We enjoy having dinners together and also sharing memories. My grandpa lives with my family now, so I get so I learn so much from him about what it was like when he was growing up. I wish most of my family lived close to one another, but unfortunately the family is scattered everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Mom's Grandfather is unknown too. He left my grandfather and his mom when my grandmother was just a baby. Later in life my grandpa found his biological father and he is still not a part of our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My family has also remained in around Ontario for a generations. This makes family gatherings easy to get together and happen more often. My grandfather and grandmother moved back to Jordan so they can continue to be apart of their heritage, so whenever we go to my grandfathers house we walk around town looking at past ancestors houses.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed very much learning about your lineage and how your great grandmother lived through two world war my great grandma herself had lived through both world wars. Being connected to your heritage is very important and that everyone keeping in touch with their families heritage is a crucial part of what makes people who they are. Also, it is important to have strong family connections and that family is incredibly important to stay with because they will keep you strong. The traditions everyone carries on in their families is what keeps their trust, which is one of the most important things in a family, strong enough to handle anything.

    ReplyDelete