The tradition to go to my grandparent’s house on Christmas morning was born before I was. Since I was born, my mom, my dad, my sister and I always get up at seven in the morning to drive out on the chilly morning of Christmas to visit my grandma and grandpa. My grandmother’s mother used to “always make tea biscuits on the morning of Christmas”, and it “brought [her] and [her] many sisters closer together”, because they would always get excited about this time (Holmes). As it brought her family together, she wanted to carry that to her children, and then, eventually, onto me and my sister. My grandmother adapted the tradition to cook and have my family over on Christmas morning from her mother, and her purpose was to bring us all together, like her mother’s cooking brought her and her family closer.
Since we have adapted this tradition, my sister has started to slowly take the reigns, as she added her famous cinnamon buns to the family tradition. I can definitely see this tradition continuing on through me, and especially my sister, as I am not the best chef. She will most likely take on the role of my grandmother when we are both older, and our families will continue this tradition on at her home. My family was not always super close with my aunt and uncle, but over the years, getting together on Christmas and uniting over our yearly sweet and salty treats has really brought us together as a family, and helped us to grow our bond even stronger.
Since my family does not really practice a certain culture, I relate to the essay “Cultural Baggage”, as me and my family are proud contributors to the culture of “none”, but practice important traditions that help our family grow.

Since my family does not really practice a certain culture, I relate to the essay “Cultural Baggage”, as me and my family are proud contributors to the culture of “none”, but practice important traditions that help our family grow.
Works Cited
Food Network. Cinnamon Bun. Food Network, www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchen/almost-famous-cinnamon-buns-recipe-1973005. Accessed 27 Oct. 2017.
Holmes, Debbie. Interview. 26 Oct. 2017.
M Island Bistro Kitchen. Tea Biscuit. 1 Jan. 2012. My Island Bistro Kitchen,
myislandbistrokitchen.com/2015/05/17/tea-biscuits/. Accessed 27 Oct. 2017.
Jadyn, I know it must be hard to get up at 7am on Christmas to get in a cold car. Does your grandma get up even earlier to mix the biscuits and make them so they are hot and fresh? Christmas, and the winter holidays are truly the season for baked goods. A warm oven heats up the house and the baked goods make everything smell delicious. It sure beats using a candle! Have you asked your grandma for her recipe? Have you ever helped her make the biscuits? Maybe with her loving guidance you can become a good chef. I am personally a mediocre baker, and I find breads the hardest thing to get right. It's something that you really need to learn by watching and doing, and not by reading a recipe.
ReplyDeleteI love having biscuits every christmas too, however my mom does not make them, she buys it from a local bakery. Baking is something that I try to run away from as I think it is to hard to learn. My grandma loves to bake cakes and cookies, she would bring them in christmas eve. Eating them every year, makes me love her baking even more. How is the drive to your grandma's house? is it cold and tiring or is everyone excited to have a christmas breakfast? Is it difficult to learn how to make the biscuits? How often do you bake? I'd love to have some of your biscuits and cinnamon buns one day.
ReplyDeleteMy family and I have always enjoyed home baking; especially during the holidays. Because there are not a lot of opportunities for us to participate in activities together, it is a good way to spend sometime as a family. Do you and your family enjoy baking at any other times during the year? Do you have any other favourite recipes?
ReplyDelete