Ever since I first saw Die Hard, when I was 10 years old, my family has watched it every Christmas morning; we have held this tradition for six years.
Although this is not the most conventional Christmas movie, my family has built a tradition around it. Die Hard is an action movie, which just happens to take place on Christmas Eve, that is also: humorous, has excellent music, and famous one liners. After seeing this movie for the first time, we, as a family, started watching it around Christmas; now on Christmas morning. My parents introduced my sister, and I with great movies at a young age; now we both have specific movies we watch for certain occasions; this just happens to be one. This is one of many little traditions combined on Christmas morning: first we have to wait for everybody to wake up, or get woken up to go downstairs; then we open our stockings, and see what each other got; and lastly we watch Die Hard while my mom makes breakfast. For most families opening the presents in the morning is the high point to the day; for my family watching this movie, even if it is not a traditional Christmas movie, lets us spend time together doing something. Whether it is us looking at what gifts we received, or calling other relatives, to wish them a merry Christmas, watching this movie makes the feeling of Christmas last most of the day. We have little quirky things we do as a family; that is why I like continuing this tradition every year, so it sets us apart from a normal Christmas.
I hope, when my kids come of age, that my own family might continue this little tradition, or come up with our own unique, special customs.
Works Cited
De Brouwer, Cindy. Interview. 25 Oct. 2017.
1988 Movie Poster Gallery Die Hard Poster. 19 Sept. 2010. Impawards.com, www.impawards.com/1988/die_hard.html. Accessed 27 Oct. 2017.
|
I especially loved the fact that it is important for you to do this with your family and bond with them. I believe that having a connection with your loved ones is important especially around Christmas. Which being the holiday where spending time with your family should matter most makes it even more special. I very much injoyed how you shared that your family injoys this more than anything on christmas because if this tradition is what you injoy most about Christmas then who needs presents when you have the great gift of all, a family connection.
ReplyDelete