I was first introduced to hockey at the age of five were I first played timbit hockey and from there I fell in love with the game hockey, I started playing rep hockey my third year of playing, I became a goalie part way through that season as my team was in need of one and I stepped up during practice and after having my mom make sure I really wanted to be a goalie by shooting pucks off my head and asking after each shot “are you sure you want to be a goalie”my answer each time was “of course I do” . My love for hockey was passed down to each of my two brothers and both of my cousins who all play hockey in Orangeville and all love the game just as much as everyone else in my family does.
My family’s love for hockey does not come from just playing hockey we also love to watch hockey no matter what league it is whether it is: OHL (ontario hockey league), WHL (western hockey league) QMJHL (quebec major junior hockey league), NHL (national hockey league), or any of the many european hockey leagues (that’s not italian or british because those leagues are horrible). But my family mainly watches the NHL and we all have our own team that we each like, we have long arguments that are friendly about team is better.
NHL Teams 
This is why hockey is important to my family because gives us something to argue about (in a friendly manner) and it gives us the chance to play the a sport that means so much to each of us.
Works Cited
FitzGibbon, Erin. Interview. 29 Oct. 2017.
Hockey faceoff. Bithockey.com, btihockey.com/the-problem-with-face-off-percentage/. Accessed 31 Oct. 2017.
NHL teams. NHL.com, www.nhl.com/news/nhl-team-nickname-origins-explained/c-283976168. Accessed 31 Oct. 2017.
Wow Barrett I didn't know your family was so into hockey. I honestly didn't know some of these leagues existed. My family also likes hockey, both my brothers play and my dad was drafted to the OHL. Yet, I still don't play it.
ReplyDeletethis is pretty cool Barrett i only thought there was the NHL i had no idea there are all these other leagues. my family has never played hockey and i'm probably the only one who is interested in learning more about it. i think its pretty cool how your mom was the one that got you into playing hockey as it tends to be more of a male dominated sport.
ReplyDeleteAlright Barrett, we started our hockey careers the exact same way, except I'm sure you didn't look like a bobblehead every time you touched the ice like me! I started out playing/becoming interested in hockey when I was only two, watching my brother play. Unlike you, my parents weren't the ones who inspired me to play, it was the thought of my brother being better than me at something. After two years of tidbit hockey I began playing rep the first year I could. I played AA for Orangeville for 6 years until height became a factor and I got 5 concussions (Didn't really change much). I wanted to keep playing but I stopped to pursue soccer. Anyways Barrett I enjoyed reading this because it is good to see that someone followed the exact same minor hockey path as me!
ReplyDelete